T. 01884 253500[email protected]
An exciting opportunity for an entrepreneur to work with Mid Devon District Council to establish a business using the Park Pavillion, in the popular "People's Park".
Mid Devon District Council are offering a rare opportunity to work with them in setting up a business in the popular "People's Park". Originally established to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887; what better a time to establish a business, than in the year of Queen Elizabeth's Platinum Jubilee!
Mid Devon are open to commercially viable suggestions for the use of the "Park Shelter".
Seddons conducted an online survey / forum and a number of ideas came forward, the majority suggesting that the property would be best used as a café, but other ideas included exercise facilities or a Gin/Cider Bar.
The Park is very scenic and includes a Bowls club, a children's play area and lovely views out and over the valley.
Services can be connected as necessary.
History - Source 'Tiverton Museum
People’s Park was established to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee in 1887 as the first of Tiverton’s three public parks. The core of the park was an area of land called Govett’s Field, with an adjoining piece of land added. The purchase of the land was supported by John Coles and subscriptions from over 1,500 local people.
The toll house at the north end of the park was adapted into a Park Keeper’s house by one of the three entrances to the park. A booklet written to raise funds for the park notes that four acres of the fields were to be laid out as a promenade and children’s playground, and two and half acres to be reserved for a boys’ recreation ground.
The park has been furnished with a number of features over the years, including a bandstand presented by Alderman Lane (no longer in existence), the drinking fountain presented by Rev. Hadow and the canon which was used as scrap metal in the Second World War.
The opening celebrations on July 5th 1888 included a lunch and a flower show which included ‘horse jumping, a traditional English fair and novelty entertainments.’
The park has been the site of many town merriments over the years with various teas and events laid on for Royal celebrations and other occasions.
From our Office on Fore Street, head towards the town centre and take on of the alley ways on the left into the central market. Pass the Pannier Market and exit the carpark, at the Northern exit, crossing Newport Street. Proceed along Castle Street, which has the pretty 'Leat' in the centre, and continue straight ahead along Bartows Causeway, into the Park. The shelter will be seen across the green to your right.